Saturday, May 1, 2010

Now we are in Alaska!

I am going to write a little first while I am waiting for Grandpa to find the thumb drive, then I will try to send a few pix.

It was a busy week...for me to try to learn a bunch of stuff before Linda, my "boss" takes the next 2 weeks off to use up some personal time. Dave helped get ready for a big group of veterans , "wounded warriors", that comes in tonight. They had to make bunks of the single beds the kids used all winter.

Monday eve we were invited to one of the staff families' home for a "steak out" -everyone brought their own steak and potluck..couldn't believe how many little ones among them including 3 newborns!

Wednesday was fun to get to drive down to Homer ...we stopped to see lots of Eagles and saw a few moose. It's a pretty drive with the Mtns across Cook Inlet visible. While the staff had their afternoon meeting we visited a museun and then drove over to see my cousin, Pam. (Neil's sister) She still has her B and B, but doesn't advertise any more..just takes her old customers. Her daughter lives in Home, too, so Pam was babysitting her 1 year old.

I am gradually catching on in the office to new machines and people and trying to remember the old procedures. ..the first week was easy, now I know just enough to be dangerous! There have been a few moose on campus, but I am still waiting to see one on our back porch. (we are right by the woods.)

The daffodils are blooming and it has been warm enough so the snow has preety much disappeard except for where there were big piles. Temps have been 30's at night and 40's day time, now creeping up into the 50's.
I am extremely thankful to be feeling good and not coughing. It has been a hassle to get my antibiotic prescriptions from the new Walmart Pharmacy over in Kenai...mainly due to the fact that they are so new.

Last night we played Mexican Train with a couple of volunteers. More people leave each day, so it looks like it will be pretty quiet this week. Tonight we are invited over to a staff home for dinner. They have a 6 month old.
I think we will go to the new little Covenant Church here again tomorrow. They have only been meeting for about 3 weeks -in the gym of a Boy's and Girl's club in Kenai. Dick Nelson from Rockford who came up with us is staying in the other bedroom of our duplex apt. He is 80 and having a hard time gettting around, so is thinking of flying home early...we'll see.

Well, pray for us to know how to best be of help fullfilling the responsibilities the staff has confidently given us, and thank God for our good health. We miss you all so much. Our love and prayers. -will try now to see if I can sned some pix.

No comments: