
Wow, time sure flies when you are having fun. We were so blessed with the privilege of being together with all the family over the holidays! I have so many pictures I can't begin to pick out what to include, so I will just insert this one which reflects our joy over the fun times we had this past year.
Right now we are both feeling a little "old" because we have little patience to get rid of our colds/coughs. It is so very beautiful outside with probably a foot of new fluffy snow. (I tried to insert a great cardinal pix (by the bird feeder) here, but still can't figure out how to get it into the text :(
We are so grateful for this time to enjoy being together...retirement is wonderful. this morning we didn't get up till 9 AM! Now we wait to see what adventures the new year holds as we trust God in His Plan.
So many are heavy with health/financial/job troubles. I think I will take time to write out an editorial I just read from the JBU Alumni magazine by Rod Reed, Chaplain.
"...It is hard to fine a family that is not affected by one or more unexpected and undesired situation. And for most of us, the natural human response - trying to avoid the pain- happens automatically. Our prayer lives usually reflect that. When difficulties arise, our first prayer is often that God would resolve the difficulties and return our lives to a state of comfort. We see in scripture that God oftern answere those prayers. Many of Jesus' miracles were anwere to prayer for healing or provision.
However, I think we misread scripture and misunterstand God' intent for us if we assume that God's purposes are always to relieve our pain. And when we assume that those are God's purposes, it can lead us to bitterness and disillusionment with Him. Additionally, we can miss out on many of God's blessings if we only pray for deliverance or provision.
In John 16:33 Jesus comforts his disciplles who have just been told of the many trials they will have to endure as is followers by saying these words, ' I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble, but take heart, I have overcome the world.'
Peace comes not from the absence of trouble. We have peace and security in Christ in the midst of troubles. In fact, we see in James 1 that God uses times of trouble to bring us to maturity in faith. An author friend of mine has told me many times that lasting spiritual growth rarely happens apart from struggles. So, when our primary goal is to escape difficulties, we may be short-circuiting God's purposes for our growth. This is not to say that we shouldn't pray for healing, or financial recovery , or the sale of a home with a burdensome mortgage. It does mean, however, that in addition to those prayers, we should see God's purposes in the midst of those difficulties. Ask God what He wants you to learn in this time that you might not be willing to hear in easier times. Often our ears and hearts are more willing to hear when we have a very real sense of our need. So when you are in the midst of trouble, take heart, seek Christ for He has overcome the world, and in Him you may have peace."
-food for thought. Well, I'd better do a little cleaning today. God bless you each one.
No comments:
Post a Comment